My name is Alyssa, and I am a sixteen year old girl from Colorado. This summer, I will be spending a month in Léon, the capitol city of the province of Léon in northwest Spain. I will be living with a host family, and experiencing all the food, family and culture Spain has to offer. You have reached my blog where I will be posting pictures and updates about my time there!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Days 4 and 5

Whew. Where to begin. These last couple days have been going very much according to the Spanish schedule- waking up around noon, eating lunch at three, and having dinner around eleven at night. The weather has been a bit chillier, too, which is a nice break from the heat I've been in the last couple weeks. I finally feel completely settled and able to relax a bit (wait, Alyssa relaxes?). Anyways, Cristina and I have been spending time with her friends whom I absolutely love, and I am actually beginning to understand most of what they say, even when they are talking at three hundred kilometers per hour!

Also, it must be noted that I have indeed found an indoor gym with a treadmill, free from any attacking eagles. Now I'm paranoid whenever I see a bird larger than a pigeon in the sky flying above me. Hopefully my eagle friend won't be in such a bad mood if I ever get the courage to run outside again.

Later that day, Conchi took me to the supermarket to buy some quasi-normal foods to keep around the house. Now that Special K and I have been reunited, life is good. We met up with Cristina and Diego a bit later, who were shopping for summer clothes for Diego, as he neglected to do so before returning from college in Madrid. That night, Cristina and I went to a party at a friend's house, and stumbled back home around four. Living la vida loca!

This morning, Conchi, Diego, Cristina and I went into León for breakfast where we had traditional Spanish  hot chocolate and churros. It was absolutely the best breakfast I have had in a looong time! The hot chocolate is much thicker than American hot chocolate, so it is delicious to dip the churros in the chocolate and use them as a spoon/straw. And a quick side note for Rachel- Diego plays with his food too! After we were all finished eating, Diego took the leftover sugar and chocolate and designed a fabulous beach island with a palm tree and sun on his plate. Such a Rachel move.

Now that I have walked around León about fifty times, I am really getting a feel for the city. It is small, but I am always in awe when I stop and take a moment to remember where I am. I go to have an afternoon coffee with Cristina's friends, and I end up in front of a Gaudi house. I step into a store to look at shoes, and realize I am in a building constructed nine hundred years ago. It is such a cool feeling to be going about my life in a place so different than anything I'm used.

Also going on this week is the annual "Running of the Bulls" in Pamplona, Spain. Every morning around eight, six or seven bulls are released on the streets of Pamplona and herded to the bull ring by a mob of crazy young men who try to outrun them. Now as you can imagine, there are few drunk twenty year-olds who can outrun a bull, so the results can be extremely gruesome. And what does my family like to do during dinner? Yep, you guessed it- watch gory re-runs of the unfortunate men who end up trampled on the way to the stadium. I'll admit it is a very interesting tradition, I am just not personally partial to the subject.

I'm off to bed early tonight because Conchi and Antonio are going to a wedding all day and night tomorrow, so Cristina and Diego are having a party! The party doesn't start until twelve tomorrow night, and we have lots to do around the house, but hopefully I can sneak a siesta in there sometime tomorrow afternoon.

And I'm making progress on the pictures- they are on my computer now, which is a huuge first step for me, and hopefully they will be online tomorrow or Sunday!

Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment